The Sitting Bull College Library serves the College as well as the local community. Sitting Bull College Library is a public library serving all the residents of Standing Rock. Local residents, as well as students, faculty and staff of Sitting Bull College may utilize all the services that the library provides. Among the range of services are the following:
- a public access computer lab with a printer/photocopier and scanner
- a wide selection of online research resources that can be accessed either at the library or from home
- over 20,000 print and multimedia resources available featuring a large collection of Native American and children’s materials
- a Census Information Center for access to American Indian Census information
- Interlibrary loan available for materials the library doesn’t have access to
Have a question? Email the reference desk at email@example.com and we will do what we can to help you.
Monday through Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Friday 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday - Closed
Sitting Bull Photograph Collection
In the late 19th Century, Sitting Bull, became one of the most photographed people of the age. Some of these photographs are iconic and readily recognizable to people around the world. While most are less well known and have received little attention. These photographs, combined with his historic leadership role, have made Sitting Bull one of the most recognizable American Indian leaders of all time.
The collection at Sitting Bull College Library comprises the largest permanent display of Sitting Bull photographs anywhere in the world. The collection continues to grow and will eventually feature each of the known unique photographs of Sitting Bull along with information about the history of each. Gathered together from archives, libraries and private individuals, the collection seeks to honor the memory of the great American Indian leader by creating a permanent display that will continue to inspire future generations.
Sitting Bull College Library has several other unique special collections that are available.
- The James Emery Collection consists of over 900 recordings, many of which feature rare Lakota/Dakota songs and stories. A full listing of the collections contents is available here http://www.sittingbull.edu/community/library/JamesEmery.pdf
- The Standing Rock Microfilm Collection is a growing collection of historical primary source documents available on microfilm. These include historic government, military, church and newspaper sources that record Standing Rock History back to the mid-19th Century. The library has a PC based microfilm reader-scanner which allows microfilm to be conveniently searched, saved and printed from a computer screen.
- A growing archive that seeks to preserve documents from Standing Rock and Sitting Bull College History
- A life sized print of the famous Long Soldier Winter Count featured on the award winning Lakota Winter Counts website http://wintercounts.si.edu/
For More Information Contact
Mark Holman, Librarian
Sitting Bull College Library
Fort Yates, ND 58538
Phone: (701) 854-8024
Fax: (701) 854-3403